Published in July, 2019, 101 Lively Limericks – To Make You Smile is an original collection of short funny poems for children and adults.
These short funny poems beg to be read aloud because children, their parents and teachers will find them fascinating. The author, Marilyn Humphries, retells amusing incidents about people and animals, nursery rhymes and more in these short, funny limerick poems. The catchy rhythm and rhyming scheme of limericks make the words dance off the tongue while the stories twist and turn.
What’s in the book?
The first five pages answer the questions:
- Why a book of limericks?
- What exactly is a limerick?
- What does a limerick look like?
- When were limericks first written?
- Where do I start?
Next, the main part of the book is divided into four sections:
- Amazing Animals
- Fascinating People
- Nursery Rhymes & Tales
- Engaging Observations (probably more for “grown-ups” or older children).
Finally, a few pages at the end feature Acknowledgements, About the Author, About the Illustrator and To The Reader.
Presentation of the book
This slim volume has a high quality soft, glossy cover featuring one of Phil Judd’s amazing drawings. All of Phil’s illustrations use clean lines which capture the characters’ expressions. Also he uses clear bright colours to set the mood. Because of his skill and technique, Phil has captured the humour (sometimes “quirky”) of the poems making his illustrations simply a delight. They appear on the right-hand pages of each spread throughout this book of funny poems for children and adults.
Beautifully type-set on premium quality paper, this book is a pleasure to hold and will fit easily into a handbag. This makes it easy to have on hand when needing to entertain children while waiting for appointments. It can be “dipped into,” reading just a few limericks at a time. The large print makes it easy for young children to read as well as for older adults, especially when reading to children in a dimly lit bedroom or on a bumpy bus ride.
Who would benefit from this book?
101 Lively Limericks – To Make You Smile is perfect for children and adults alike because it’s easy for all to relate to the characters and their situations. The limericks are positive and uplifting and are enlivened with humour and understanding. Parents and teachers will find these short funny poems to be a wonderful resource for sharing with children.
Here are some of the ways to use them:
- compare incidents in the poems with everyday experiences
- use them as a trigger to discuss what children know about the various topics
- read as bed-time stories (except for “The Lout and the Croc”)
- inject a sense of fun into poetry reading
- teach children how to read with expression
- train children’s memories (choose your favourite poem and learn it)
- teach about rhyming words and rhythm patterns
- use as models for teaching children to write limericks
- share the joy of clever word play
- provide examples of specific adjectives and strong verbs
- use as a stimulus for story writing.
Reading poems to babies and toddlers helps them to develop “an ear” for patterns of language even though they don’t understand the words. Anyone who loves our English language and enjoys playing with words will find these limericks refreshing and inspiring. They are written for you, the reader, “to make you smile.”